Cleansing Instructions on Windows 98SE
'Basis Cleansing' means that this work ought to be done once per month. Windows automatically files great amounts of data on your hard drive that document your work and your usage of the internet. In time this data gets to be so large that it influences the efficiency of your system. Additionally, this data can be used by spyware programs to document your internet history and to accede to your personal data. A machine must periodically be controlled and cleaned up to stay in a secure state.
If your system already is infected, you will have to use some more programs to clean it up.
Please follow our instructions of posting #2 to get all information you need.
Please read these instructions carefully and print them out!
=> if you use it: start Spybot S&D, deactivate "Resident TeaTimer".
(Click onto "Advanced mode" > "YES" > "Tools" Menu > Click
onto "Resident" > take off the checkmark with "Resident TeaTimer"
"activ" > exit.)
=> if you use it: deactivate Ad-Watch!
=> if you use it: deactivate the Windows Defender
Open Windows Defender > Click onto "Tools", "Settings" >
click on the left side onto "Real-time Protection" > "Startup
Options" take off the checkmark with "Enable the
Windows Defender Security Agents on startup (recommended)" >
take off the checkmark with "Real-time spyware threat protection"
take off the checkmark with "Enable real-time spyware threat protection
(recommended)" > Click onto "Save" and exit Windows Defender.
Right-Click onto the Windows Defender Icon on System Tray >
chose "Shutdown Windows Defender".
Deactivate these programs while cleaning up your system,
otherwise no cleansing could be done.
Be sure to follow ALL instructions!
Follow the numbers.
Download these programs:
Download-Mirrors: Mirror 1 und Mirror 2
System Requirements: Windows (95)/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003 Server
Install the program and update it manually: News from Research
(here you can download the last definition files for Ad-Aware SE)
Spybot Search & Destroy
You need to update the program first.
install it, start it -> options -> settings -> clean up windows, applications, registry
(quick-tour and screenshots)
Put a checkmark in every box as to be seen on the pictures, but NOT to the Yahoo Toolbar!
Make sure you set windows to see the hidden files and folders:
Enable the viewing of Hidden files
1. From Windows Explorer, go to Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
2. Enable the option for `Show hidden files and folder´
3. Disable the option for `Hide file extensions for known types´
4. Disable the option for `Hide protected operating system files´
5. Click Yes to confirm & then click OK
Disconnect to the Internet.
Close all applications, all windows and your Web Browser.
REBOOT TO SAFE MODE:
Note: SafeBootKeyRepair (help)
1. Restart the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as BIOS.
2. As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard.
3. Continue to do so until the 'Windows Advanced Options' menu appears.
4. Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the menu item - Safe Mode.
Run Ad-Aware SE
Pleae follow these instructions:
(Adaware SE 1.05 Tutorial
Adaware SE Personal Tutorial)
Set : Search for negligible risk entries
Set : Safe mode (always request confirmation)
Set : Scan active processes
Set : Scan registry
Set : Deep-scan registry
Set : Scan my IE Favorites for banned URLs
Set : Scan my Hosts file
Change all red X to green ones.
Take a full system scan.
Delete the content of all Ad-aware SE folders and the Quarantine box when the scan is finished.
Safe the logfile.
Stay in Safe Mode
Run Spybot Search & Destroy
(You may want to follow these instructions)
Turn on Advanced Mode. Go to "Tools" and put a checkmark into the box of ActiveX.
Scan your system. Let Spybot Search & Setroy delete everything it finds.
Take the immunication for your system.
Safe the logfile.
Delete the content of the temporary folders:
Go to START > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
Let it scan your system for files to remove.
Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
Press OK to remove them.
Go to START> run> type %temp% and press [enter]. Do this for every account.
Go to START>Control Panel>Internet Options>tab programs> and click restore websettings.
Configure your Internet Explorer:
1) Open Control Panel
2) Click on Internet Options
3) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
4) You may also want to check the box "Delete all offline content"
5) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the temporary internet files
6) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive
7) Configure your Internet Explorer: Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
Delete the whole content of C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Temp <== this folder.
Reboot your system into normal mode.
Run the CCleaner.
==> Need help?
on our forum.
Open a new thread on English Help
Have a look to Know how - HijackThis
Follow our instructions
You don't need to help yourself...
wait until we help you.